Saturday 29 June 2013

Hoe Cakes (Cornmeal Pancakes)

Wake up every morning with the thought that something wonderful is about to happen. - Unknown

Today was my children's first official day off school.  So, as a special way to kick of the summer months, I made a common southern breakfast....Hoe Cakes, Johnny Cakes or simply Cornmeal Pancakes.  They say that these were George Washington's favourite breakfast food.  They are so delicious...I hope that you would give them a try.  And most importantly... the only noise I heard from my children this morning was....mmm.... and.... these are so nice....

I think we are off to a good begining of summer....


Hoe Cakes or Johnny Cakes (adapted from: Deep South Dish. com)
makes 15,  5-inch pancakes

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups cornmeal
6 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk*
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup oil

Directions:
1.  Put all the dry ingredients to a large bowl. Whisk.
2.  Into another smaller bowl, add all the wet ingredients.  Whisk.

3.  Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined.
4.  Fry on a lightly oiled skillet or hot top.

 5.  Enjoy!
 


 * making your own buttermilk is simple.  Just pour 1 Tablespoon of Lemon into the bottom of a liquid measure.  Then pour in enough milk to equal 1 cup.  Let the lemon and milk sit for a few minutes...There you have it!  1 cup of Buttermilk! (for this recipe...you would add 1 1/2 Tablespoons of lemon to 1 1/2 cups of milk)

2 comments:

  1. Just made these Johnny Cakes for my Johnny and the kids for breakfast this morning. They were a big hit! Happy Canada Day!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I am glad you guys liked them. I was thinking if I mentioned George Washington...maybe you would give them a try ;)

      Delete